Posts Tagged ‘Brazilian wax’

Eyebrow Waxing May Cause Eye Herpes

Tuesday, November 10th, 2009


As most of us already know, it costs to look good. You’re probably already familiar with the financial costs of looking great – they add up quickly – but what about the price your health may have to pay? Your eyebrows look great – but at what cost?

Hope you’re ready for reason number 872,019 not to double-dip wax applicator sticks in wax.

When it comes to eyebrows, the right shape and appearance can make a real difference in a clean and polished appearance. And grooming eyebrows is an important part of many cosmetology school programs. But in some salons around the country, unsanitary practices are putting customers at risk for various diseases. Among them, eye herpes. Um, gross.

So, how does this happen? According to health and cosmetology experts like Sherry Lewelling, re-dipping waxing sticks into the hot wax container can spread germs and diseases to other customers. For instance, if the waxing customer who comes before you has a cold sore on his or her lip, and that waxing stick is double-dipped into the hot wax, the herpes virus that causes cold sores could be transmitted to you.

Cosmetologists emphasize that every time a stick is dipped into wax and used on a client’s skin, that stick should be thrown away. Experts also recommend that consumers only see waxing professionals who have been licensed in cosmetology or esthetics by the state. When good sanitation practices become a habit, customers will leave your salon both happy and healthy.

When it comes to that nasty case of eye herpes, most cases can be treated. However, there is no cure for the herpes virus and some severe cases in the eyes may even lead to blindness. So whether you work in a salon or are a waxing customer, be on the lookout for trained professionals who meet state standards for cleanliness and sanitation!

Bikini Wax Drama Revisited

Monday, June 22nd, 2009


Another bikini wax or Brazilian wax mishap has been highlighted in the news. Women’s Health has an article featured on about a woman, Jennifer, that spent 15 days in the hospital after a bikini wax infection. 15 days!

The article claims she received her wax at a reputable New York salon. After the wax, she developed a 102 degree temperature, chills and pain in her left thigh. Jennifer thought it was just a cold (that’s some cold!) and waited 5 days to go to the doctor.

Well, turns out, it wasn’t a cold. Her doctor diagnosed her with cellulitis – a potentially life-threatening bacterial infection of the skin and underlying tissue. She had surgery to drain the infection and was hooked up to an IV that pumped her full of antibiotics and pain-killers. One doctor even said she could have lost her leg.

So how does this happen? Any procedure, no matter how small or how common, comes with risk. But 15 days in the hospital after a bikini wax! I argue that waiting 5 days to see a doctor with symptoms like that isn’t terribly smart.

I wouldn’t say this is a common occurrence, but it’s not the first time it’s happened. New Jersey even considered outlawing bikini waxes because of problems they were causing. That is why it is so incredibly important to visit educated, licensed estheticians you trust. Ask lots of questions of your esthetician and follow all the pre- and post-wax instructions closely.

These recent Brazilian wax and bikini wax headlines got me thinking. What safety precautions and pre- and post-waxing care techniques are current students learning in esthetician school to avoid these problems? What precautions are salons and spas taking to avoid these mishaps and subsequently getting sued? Has anything changed at the place you attend school or work at – or are the normal safety routines still working?