Makeup Artist Careers
People tend to have a pretty specific view when someone says "makeup artist," but the truth is that there are a lot of varieties when it comes to makeup artist careers. It's not just a simple matter of knowing how to put on eyeliner. You have to know how to use all the tools and brushes that are available; match different shades to clients' skin tones to achieve their desired look; execute a variety of styles from both past eras and present day; and anticipate growing makeup trends and create new, fresh looks that drive makeup innovation forward.
- Salons: Many hair and beauty salons these days keep a makeup artist on staff to serve their clientele either for touch-ups after their hair is done or to plan and execute the perfect look for weddings, holiday parties or other big events.
- Retail and Sales: Stepping up to demonstrate, promote and sell some of your favorite makeup products and beauty lines can be a great way to utilize your skills and your passion for makeup while also making a stable living.
- Television and Film: There are makeup artists all over the country helping people in front of the cameras look their best – from local news personas to regional independent films to A-list celebrities hitting the red carpet.
- Theatre: The bright lights of the stage can be brutal to counteract, but a theatre make up artist has all the skills he or she needs to enhance features of the actors and actresses in the cast and make sure they shine under the spotlight.
- Special Effects: Makeup isn't just concealer and blush. There's an entirely different part of the makeup artist career marketplace that demands artists who can transform and create everything from zombies to realistic wounds.
- Magazines and Photography: Every time you see a model in a magazine or stomping down a runway, a makeup artist was there to finish off the fashion and the hairstyle with just the right makeup to complete the look.
Clearly, a career in makeup artistry offers some fun and unique opportunities. It's a satisfying career as well, as you get to assist others in looking and feeling their best. Makeup artist careers are a great option for those who are creative-minded, like working with people, and thrive off of a variety of new and challenging situations.
BeautySchool.com offers you the ability to search for makeup artist schools in your area to find a quality cosmetology institution that fits your needs. Upon completing your makeup program, you can obtain your state cosmetology license and begin a rewarding beauty career.